Artist Painter Brenda D. Johnson's Wildlife and Nature Inspired Art

Brenda's Blog and Studio Journal features new works in progress and general updates. You can also follow Brenda on Facebook (search Facebook: Brenda D. Johnson Wildlife Art. (NEW!)

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

On the Easel..... Grey Squirrel in Silver Dollar Plants

Several years ago a virus plagued our community and almost wiped out an entire population of Grey Squirrel.  Also effected were song birds, Mountain Banded Tailed Pigeons and who knows what else.


It's been at least two years since having the pleasure of watching these little comedians grace my deck and yard.


About a month ago, I saw one little one dashing up our street and head for the woods.  I was delighted to see it.  I'm hoping there is a mate somewhere close by and spring has brought us new little ones.   I've not seen any since and the babies would certainly be out in full force by now.  They breed a couple of times a year.


The photo references for this painting came from my backyard.  I had hiked down to the yard for photos of the most amazing year in blooms from the Silver Dollar Plant.  Lovely flowers in mass.


Of course, it was not uncommon to find my little friends there as well burying peanuts.  They will do anything for a peanut!  Hence the poses that day offered up by these little guys and gals.   It was a great group of photos indeed.  


The background on this piece was scumbled in and the med-ground painted in.  I've yet to paint in the flowers.   Updates as it progresses...............  

No comments: